Part Truth. Part Fiction.

~~~

Monday, May 10, 2010

Hero Complex

Wrapping my emotions around the niceties
Where they can stay cozy and lovely and picturesque
Beneath each rhapsody lying dormant is the flavor of truth
A taste so bitter I will not choose to savor it
Because should you scrape away my lacquer veneer
The thin layer of hurt would thicken before your gaze
And you’d see that I feel utterly used by you
As I gave without expectation, cared without requital
Assuaged your fears and laid myself out bare
The best of me, in a sweet little package
That quickly became all about you
What you need, what’s best for you, what you can handle
So don’t pretend to be hurt by what transpired
When it was all about your ego
Which I fed for you, even when I knew it wouldn’t work
Hanging myself out to dry in the center
Of your scorched earth tactics
Where if you have to hurt, then so must us all
So I’ve fallen on the sword more than once
Bled the burning soil a salty red
For you to feel whole, for you to be okay
For this whole mess, that you made complicated
And shoved back onto me
To bear some semblance of worth
Which is beyond conceptually futile right now
As I take it all out on myself
In a simple stoic silence and the art that cuckolds me
Holding back the fool that would otherwise rush ahead
Into a burning building, chasing after a phantom sound.

No comments:

Post a Comment